The YAA Academy is a daytime intensive for the dedicated student, at any level, who wants to hone their skills in the artistic process of Acting, Dance, Voice, or Instrumental Music (new!)
Specific classes may include:
- Acting — improvisation, character development, and scene study
- Dance — ballet, jazz, tap, modern, and hip-hop techniques
- Instrumental Music — full ensemble, chamber music, solo repertoire, and music theory
- Voice — vocal technique, interpretation, music theory, and acting/movement for singers
- July 17 - 27, 2017 -- Weekdays from 8:30am - 4:00pm.
- July 15 - 27, 2017
- Saturday, July 15 - morning & afternoon
- Sunday, July 16 - afternoon
- Weekdays from 8:30am - 4:00pm.
The Senior Academy is for rising 9th to 12th graders and college freshmen. Participants will select one MAJOR and one MINOR concentration in Acting, Dance, Voice, or Instrumental Music (new!).
Participants will appear in a Final Showcase on the final day of the program.
The Junior Academy is for rising 6th to 8th graders. Students will receive combined training in Acting, Dance, and Voice. They will rehearse and perform a staged production of You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown.
Junior Academy majors will automatically receive combined training in voice/acting/dance.
Daily Classes for all Senior Academy students will be in their chosen major designed to challenge students and to propel them forward in their discipline. Senior Academy students will also be able to choose a secondary discipline as a Minor.
Daily classes in musical theatre, classical and/or contemporary singing will include: Music Theory, Voice Class, Acting and Movement for Singers.
Daily classes may include: Ballet, Jazz, Tap, Modern and Hip Hop.
Daily classes may include: Full Ensemble, Chamber Music, Solo Coachings, Music Theory.
Daily classes may include: Acting Games, Improvisation, Monologue Coaching. as well as Scene Study and Character Development. Students will work on both contemporary and classical audition pieces.
The 140-acre wooded campus at Sandy Spring Friends School, in Northern Montgomery County, Maryland, featuring a state-of-the-art Performing Arts Center, fully-equipped 300-seat proscenium theater, dance studio, and multiple rehearsal rooms. Optional School Bus service available. Recreational activities include swimming, zip-lining, and more!
Artistic Faculty and Staff
Terry Eberhardt, Summer Intensives Director
Joe Fischer, Summer Intensives Operations Manager
Karen Collins Blake, Summer Intensives Administrator
Carole Graham Lehan, Stage Director
Lori Schwartz Reichl, Instrumental Music
Madeline Rodrigue, Dance
Garry Tiller, Acting
Rolando Sanz, Producing Artistic Director
Click here to read more about our Summer Intensives Faculty & Staff.
All students regardless of previous experience will be admitted to our Summer Intensives. However, auditions to best place you in a class level are required.
Once you have registered and paid a deposit for the intensive, you will be contacted with instructions for placement auditions. Video auditions will be accepted for those who live outside of the DC area.
Students must audition in only one of the disciplines below and must come prepared with the following requirements:
- Voice - 2 contrasting songs in musical theatre and/or classical voice. Pianist will be provided.
- Acting - 2 contrasting monologues, contemporary and classical.
- Dance - 1 minute prepared solo, and taught choreography at audition. Please bring soft dance (jazz) shoes.
- Instrumental Music - 2 contrasting classical or jazz etudes.
Placement Audition Dates
Thursday, June 15, 2017 from 6:30-8:30pm.
Attendance is mandatory for all participants and their families.
- $1,295 for Early-Bird Registration before December 31, 2016
- $1,395 for Regular Registration after January 1, 2017
- $1,395 for Early-Bird Registration before December 31, 2016
- $1,495 for Regular Registration after January 1, 2017
- A deposit of $500 is due upon registration (refundable until March 1, 2017).
- 2nd payment of half of the remaining balance is due by April 1, 2016 (non-refundable).
- Final balance due on June 1, 2017 (non-refundable).
- All Academy classes, rehearsals and masterclasses with resident and visiting faculty
- Daily lunch in the Dining Hall (Monday thru Friday)
- Outdoor recreational activities including a day of Swimming and Zip-lining at Adventure Park
- One sleepover night with the Overnight Students on the first Friday evening of the program
- A Showcase for friends and family on the final evening of the program.
Click here to pay your tuition.
Limited Tuition Assistance Available
Sandy Spring Friends School offers optional school bus transportation to and from campus during normal operational hours for an additional cost. They offer busing from a variety of locations in DC and Montgomery and Howard counties, such as: Rockville, Silver Spring, Bethesda, Gaithersburg, Kensington, Columbia and downtown DC. For pricing and more information please click here.
**Please note that students taking the bus will miss the first and last 15 minutes of our program.
Explore other Summer Intensive Options.