The YAA Conservatory is an an Overnight intensive for the highly disciplined student who wants classes focused on artistic process PLUS the applied training of a full musical theatre production. For rising 9th-12th graders and college freshmen.
- Study Acting, Dance, Voice, or Instrumental Music (new!) at the Senior Academy during the day.
- Rehearse evenings and weekends for a fully-staged production of Lin-Manuel Miranda’s In the Heights.
July 15 - 28, 2017 (inclusive)
Daily Classes for all Conservatory students are designed to challenge students and to propel a student forward in their chosen Major.
Students will also be able to choose a secondary discipline as a Minor.
Daily classes in musical theatre, classical and/or contemporary singing will include: Music Theory, Voice Class, Acting and Movement for Singers.
Daily classes may include: Ballet, Jazz, Tap, Modern and Hip Hop.
Daily classes may include: Full Ensemble, Chamber Music, Solo Coachings, Music Theory.
Daily classes may include: Acting Games, Improvisation, Monologue Coaching. as well as Scene Study and Character Development. Students will work on both contemporary and classical audition pieces.
The 140-acre wooded campus at Sandy Spring Friends School, in Northern Montgomery County, Maryland, featuring a state-of-the-art Performing Arts Center, fully-equipped 300-seat proscenium theater, dance studio, and multiple rehearsal rooms.
Conservatory students enjoy double dorm rooms with A/C and private bathrooms on single-sex floors with 24-hour adult supervision, security and staffed infirmary.
Extra-curricular activities will include:
- Theatre field trips
- Movie nights
- ...and more
Artistic Faculty and Staff
Terry Eberhardt, Summer Intensives Director
Joe Fischer, Operations Manager
Karen Collins Blake, Summer Intensives Administrator
Carole Graham Lehan, Stage Director
Lori Schwartz Reichl, Instrumental Music
Madeline Rodrigue, Dance
Garry Tiller, Acting
Rolando Sanz, Producing Artistic Director
Click here to read more about our Summer Intensives Faculty & Staff.
All students regardless of experience will be admitted to our Summer Intensives. However, auditions to best place you in a class level are required. Once you have registered and paid a deposit for the intensive, you will be contacted with instructions for placement auditions. Video auditions will be accepted for those who live outside of the DC area.
Students must audition in only one of the disciplines below and must come prepared with the following requirements:
- Voice - 2 contrasting songs in musical theatre and/or classical voice. Pianist will be provided.
- Acting - 2 contrasting monologues, contemporary and classical.
- Instrumental Music - 2 contrasting classical or jazz etudes
- Dance - 1 minute prepared solo, and taught choreography at audition. Please bring soft dance (jazz) shoes.
Thursday, June 15, 2017 from 6:30-8:30pm. Attendance is mandatory for all participants and their parents.
- $3,145 for Early-Bird Registration before December 31, 2016
- $3,395 for Regular Registration after January 1, 2017
- A deposit of $500 is due upon registration (refundable until March 1, 2017).
- 2nd payment of half of the remaining balance is due by April 1, 2016 (non-refundable).
- Final balance due on June 1, 2017 (non-refundable).
- All Academy classes, rehearsals and masterclasses with resident and visiting faculty
- Participation in the Conservatory's full production of In the Heights.
- Double overnight accommodations in the Westfield Residence Hall
- 3 meals daily in the Dining Hall + evening snacks
- All daytime classes PLUS all afternoon and evening rehearsals and social activities
- Extended recreational activities including:
- Weekend Swimming
- Nighttime Zip-lining at Adventure Park
- Scavenger Hunts
- Rock Climbing Wall
- Movie Nights
- Karaoke Nights & more...
- Field trips including attending a professional performance of a mainstage musical at a nearby theater and teaser performances in the community
- A two-week overnight summer intensive experience that you won't soon forget!
Click here to pay your tuition.
Limited Tuition Assistance Available
Limited need-based tuition assistance is available. Please inquire by email.
Parents of Conservatory Students will drop students off at the Sandy Spring Friends School campus on the first day of the intensive and pick them up on the last Friday. Pickup/Dropoff details are available in the Intensives Handbook.
The nearest Airport and Amtrak train station to the campus is Baltimore/Washington International Airport (BWI). We can make arrangements with families who are coming in from out-of-town for pickup at the BWI airport or train station.
Explore more Summer Intensive Options.